Tuesday 10 January 2012

What makes a striking painting?

I've been set a task this month of writing some rules to define a 'good' painting. A task I'm not sure I'm really qualified to undertake but here goes!

Over the last couple of months I've been a regular visitor down to London and have taken the opportunity to visit a number of Galleries and exhibitions. I've noticed as a viewer of paintings that artists don't have long to grab my attention (maybe a couple of seconds) before I've moved on to the next painting. Something has to 'grab' me and make me go in for a closer look. Once I have moved in for a closer look there has to be something within that painting that keeps me there. Otherwise again, I've moved on within a couple of seconds.

One of the exhibitions I attended was the ROI at the Mall Galleries. Out of an exhibition of roughly 260 paintings there were probably about 5 paintings that really caught my attention and I found myself glued to them. Even coming back to them a couple of times for another look. Two months later I can still remember these paintings - and can picture them as if they were in front of me now. Not surprisingly these were paintings done by the people I would describe as the 'Modern Masters'. So what do these paintings have that the others don't?

The Following are some notes I made yesterday and is work in progress:

Design and composition:

1. What will make a viewer come over to look at this painting?

  • Abstract Design - to grab a viewers attention in a roomful of paintings

  • Value plan – keep simple, space division, dominant value, contours, variety.

2. What will keep a viewer looking at this painting?



  • Near design to be seen close up:

  • Focal point, contours, contrasts (values, saturation, Edges, shapes, temperature etc). Directing lines to focal point, eye movement. Variety.

  • Beauty in the brushwork – Variety. (Thick – thin, heavy – light, glazing, scumbling, feathering, palette knife, Descriptive – focal point, perspective).

  • Edges – Variety, perspective, three dimensional, direct viewer, contrast, shadow edges, forms,

Underpinning all of this has to be the technique:

1. Drawing, Drawing, Drawing!
2. Values
3. Colour


I know it is not as simple as this and there are many more things that make a great painting - but I'm still searching!


On a completely different topic I've been continuing with my Bargue studies. This is another hand. I messed up the arm and didn't make it thick enough - Guess I still have some work to do on my drawing skills!

Anyway, time to get on with some painting.

Best wishes

Hannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment